Friday, January 8

Basundi

Someone asked me 'What would you like for your last meal on the earth'. 'Ice cream' and 'Basundi' was a ready answer. Basundi is a dessert made by reducing milk for hours.
Eating Basundi has always been #1 on 'things to eat list' during the India visit. Somehow I haven't found any good place in bay area which serves basundi. I tried the instant mixes but they are miserable as they contain nothing but milk powder and sugar.

Today I found a can of condensed milk in the pantry when I was looking for something else. It was a Eureka moment. 'N' just knew I was up to something. The joy in his eyes when I served Basundi for dinner was worth the efforts.

Ingredients.
1. 14 Oz can of sweetened condensed milk
2. 14 Oz fat free milk.
3. 12 Oz can of fat free evaporated milk.
4. 8 Oz heavy whipping cream.
5. 6-7 Almonds
6. a pinch of saffron.

How to make
1. Soak almonds in warm water for 15-20 minutes. That way it becomes easier to cut them in small pieces.
2. Mix sweetened condensed milk, fat free milk, evaporated milk and heavy whipping cream together in a heavy bottom sauce pan.
3. Put it on heat on low for 30-40 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add chopped almonds ( or any dry fruit of your choice) and crushed saffron.
5. Heat it till it boils.
6. Set it in the refrigerator and serve it cold. Tastes best when served with Puri.

No comments: