I have a friend who believes that Biryani can only be Mutton Biryani. He believes that Chicken Biryani or Vegetarian Biryani are just by-products. Anyways as I don't eat Mutton, when I say Biryani it is always Chicken Biryani.
Recipe Courtesy : Kunal
1. 6 Drumsticks ( You can make it with Chicken breasts or Thighs but it tastes best with drumsticks).
2 Medium Sized Onions thinly sliced.
2 Medium Sized Tomatoes diced.
1 Cup of finely chopped coriander.
1/2 Cup of finely chopped mint.
1 tablespoon of MDH Bombay Biryani Masala ( Or any other masala if you like)
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic.
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
2 teaspoon of salt.
1/2 cup Yogurt.
2 cups of Basmati Rice.
1 teaspoon Shaha-Jeera.
1 Cinnamon stick.
2 Masala Cardamoms.
4 Green Cardamoms.
Oil for Biryani
1 teaspoon of Ghee ( Clarified butter) for rice.
1/2 cup of Cashew nuts
How to make-
Note : This recipe requires you to cook it on medium flame all the time
1.Clean chicken and marinate in the mixture of Yogurt, turmeric powder, ginger,garlic, 1/2 tablespoon of MDH masala and salt (to taste) for 30-45 minutes.
2. Soak basmati rice in water for 10-15 mins.
3. Heat to the pan, add shaha-jeera, Cinnamon and Cardamoms to that. Add soaked rice and roast for a while.
4. Add 3 cups of water to the rice and cook it just enough ( Cook 70%. Rest 30% would be cooked along with chicken)
5. Add oil in the heavy bottom pan. Add sliced onions and fry till light brown. Take care not to burn it. Burnt onion is not a nice thing to smell in your kitchen :-)
6. Remove from oil and keep it on a kitchen towel to soak the extra oil.
7. Fry Cashews in the same oil, just enough to make them golden in color.
Set aside on the kitchen towels along with onions.
8. In the same oil add the marinated chicken. Do not add all the marinate at this point. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add the chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
10. Add the chopped coriander. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
11. Add the chopped mint. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
12. At this point you would have some gravy in the pan.
13. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of MDH masala to the chicken. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
14. Remove some gravy ( 1/2 cup approximately) from the chicken and keep aside.
15. Layer the 70% cooked rice on the chicken.
16. Spread the gravy ( kept aside in step 14) over the rice.
17. Spread the fried onions and Cashews on the rice.
18. If you like your biryani spicy you can add chopped chilies at this point and layer them on the rice.
19. Cover tight and cook on lowest flame/heat for 15 minutes.
20. Serve it with Raita or just plain yogurt. Enjoy the succulent taste!!!